With the support of our partners at 10X Genomics and Illumina, we are proud to announce the 2022 10X Genomics/Illumina Single Cell Core Grant Program. This program will be formally announced during a mini-symposium in the University of Wisconsin-Madison Biotechnology Center Auditorium from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm on March 22nd, 2022. In addition to presentations by 10X Genomics and Illumina detailing their technology, we will also feature presentations by the following UW-Madison researchers, whose labs received awards during the previous version of this program:
- Dr. Kris Saha (principal investigator of the Saha lab), “Single cell transcriptomics to study T cell immunotherapy products”.
- Dr. Ting Zhou (from the lab of Dr. Bo Liu), “Single-cell RNA sequencing reveals vascular heterogeneity in mouse abdominal aortic aneurysm”.
During this event, PIs who are interested in their first 10X Genomics project will be invited to submit an abstract detailing a research proposal involving single cell RNA sequencing. After the submission window has ended, our industry partners will select two winners to receive free reagents for library preparation and sequencing for a small pilot project. New PIs are especially encouraged to apply. A primary goal of this program is to help early-career investigators generate preliminary data to support larger future funding proposals; entries for work on a project that is already supported by outside funding will not be selected. Gene Expression Center staff are happy to consult on potential projects free of charge, but please note that additional costs for UWBC services will apply. Please see below for more details.
Eligibility and Entry
This program is open to PIs who have not previously submitted samples for a 10X Genomics project at UW-Madison. Eligible investigators will submit an abstract of 300 words or less detailing a proposed pilot project. The entry period will run from March 22, 2022 to April 22, 2022, with applications being reviewed within two weeks following the end of this period.
Please note that 10X Genomics provides a short document with information to support funding applications, which you may find helpful.
Two winners will be selected from among eligible entrants. These winners will each receive reagents for two reactions from one of the following 10X Genomics kits:
- 3′ Gene Expression, version 3.1. This kit is used for the standard 10X Genomics workflow for single cell RNA sequencing library preparation.
- 5′ Gene Expression, version 2. This specialized kit can be used to generate whole transcriptome RNA sequencing libraries and is specifically suited for the immune profiling assay, which includes PCR enrichment of V(D)J sequences and parallel library preparation of these enriched sequences alongside whole transcriptome RNA sequencing libraries. Please note that selecting this option requires the purchasing of additional reagent modules not covered by this award.
Please note: in addition to the aforementioned extra reagent modules needed for the immune profiling assay, the following costs are NOT INCLUDED in this award and must be paid for by the winner:
- Costs for labor and consumables for the library preparation service in the Gene Expression Center and the DNA Sequencing facility
- Optional support with data analysis provided by the Bioinformatics Resource Center
- Optional reagent modules for preparation of additional libraries that can be prepared from the samples (e.g. feature barcoding for cell surface protein detection; CRISPR screening; etc.)
Gene Expression Center staff will provide an estimate for these costs upon request. For any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.