SAMPLE SUBMISSION PROCESS
All service requests are made through the UWBC Requester Portal. If you do not have an account for the Requester Portal, please email email@example.com to request an account. Following account setup, you will receive two system-generated emails.
The first email contains a link to set your password and security question in our system. This email is usually sent first. A second email provides the link to the UWBC Requester Portal along with your username. You must complete registration (setting your password and security question) before visiting the UWBC Requester Portal.
Within the UWBC Requester Portal, you will have access to a step-by-step submission process. If you requested a quote for the services you are seeking you can use the quote to guide you through the process*. The Portal will be your first stop for all subsequent service requests. In the future you will be able to monitor the status of all service requests on the lab-associated account and see specific charges attributed to each request. We will continue to improve this experience by expanding the features within the Portal.
*Please note, if you save your submission as a “Draft” you will not be able to return and complete. You will need to recreate you a new service request.
Prior to sample submission to the Gene Expression Center, please review all applicable guidelines below.
Last Update: 11/15/2023
- Following approval of an on-line Service Request, GEC staff will email the submitter to schedule their sample submission.
- Sample drop-off/pickup times are Tuesday or Thursday, 8:30am to 9:30am.
- RNA samples may be brought on dry or wet ice to the UWBC Gene Expression Center room 2340 (north side hallway of the second floor). On the table outside door 2340, there will be a bucket of ice labeled with the PI’s name for placement of samples and/or plate. If you are picking up samples, please be sure to bring your own container with ice.
- Tissue or cells being submitted (RNA Extraction) NOT preserved in a preservation reagent must be transported on dry ice. Samples in preservation reagent may be brought on wet ice.
- Projects with ≥ 16 samples must be submitted in a sealed -80C thermostable clear full or semi skirted v-bottom 96-well plate. Plate must be filled consecutively by column (A1-H1, etc.). Plates must be labeled with PI name and date on the side. A $50 service charge will be incurred for incomplete plate labeling. Plates filled by row (A1-A12, etc.,) will not be accepted & returned to client at a charge of $115.
- Projects with < 16 samples may be submitted in clear nuclease-free 1.5 mL tubes. Tubes must be labeled with the sample ID on the cap and PI name/date on the side. Sample IDs MUST MATCH those entered on the Sample Submission spreadsheet. If sample IDs do not match or tubes are missing date & PI name, you will be charged a $50 service fee to label tubes.
- Samples submitted for QC only should be submited in nuclease-free 0.2mL strip-tube(s). Caps should be labeled 1-XXX. PI name & date must be on one or two tubes in the strip.
- Do not include hard copies of your Service Request form(s) or Sample Submission spreadsheet.
- See this document for shipping instructions/guidelines
10X Genomics instructions:
- It is the client’s responsibility to determine how much time is needed to prepare and transport samples to the UWBC GEC (room 2340). Clients will be given a +/- 15-minute grace period from the predetermined time of submission. Delays beyond the 15-minute grace period will be billed in 15-minute increments for time lost while staff are waiting for your arrival.
- We require a minimum 24-hour notice for cancelled submissions as staff have blocked four hours on their calendar for the processing of samples related to the service requested. A service charge of $230 will be incurred for notifications less than 24 hours.
- Do not leave cell/nuclei suspension samples on the table outside room 2340. To the right of the door is a” Service Bell” to ring which will notify staff. If there is no answer, our staff offices are located down the hall in rooms 2322, 2320, and 2264.
- It is strongly recommended clients budget time to be present for at least one round of cell counting for all your samples in case any sample quality concerns arise. If this is not possible, you must provide a phone number that you will answer if called. If we determine that you need to make a decision on whether or not to proceed with any sample(s), we will not start the assay until we have your permission to proceed.
IMPORTANT: Deliverable data will be deleted from our systems 60 days after it is made available to download.
Lab E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
425 Henry Mall Room 2330
Madison, WI 53706
Hours: Weekdays 9am – 5pm
The blue lots are paid short-term parking options. You can see a live estimate of the number of available parking spots in these (and other UW) lots here.
All data and services provided by the University of Wisconsin Biotechnology Center Gene Expression Center are intended for research purposes only. Services are not intended nor certified for diagnostic or clinical use.